March 28, 2014

Five For Friday - 2 Weeks to Go!

It's Friday, Friday, gotta get down on casual Friday... HOORAY!
(It's also college wear day at school; roll tide y'all.)


1

Well, my week started at Teachers College in NYC with my coworkers and the one and only Lucy Calkins. See this post for my weekend recap and to find out which movie the conference was most like.


Were any of you there? What did you think of the conference?

2

...is for how many weeks I have left until spring break! TWO!!! It's so close that I can almost, ALMOST feel the sand between my toes and taste the fried shrimp, Twizzlers, and piña coladas.

I'm so envious of those of you who are already on spring break. I think I can... I think I can...

3

Second grade is working on a reading unit on fairy tales, folktales, and fables.  We are all enjoying the fun stories and activities! Just LOOK at this little foldable! They've got it, I think!


4

We have been doing math rotations daily due to end-of-year math testing coming up next week. In my group yesterday, we reviewed geometry. We drew and labeled 3D shapes.  One of my students said, 
"This is so much FUN! It feels like we are just drawing but actually we are learning.

It's the little things like that that make it all worth it, isn't it?


5

Earlier this week we tried a part-comprehension (morals) and part-bibliotherapy lesson using Mr. Peabody's Apples by Madonna (yes - THAT Madonna). What a cute book that teaches a great lesson! We talked about gossip, rumors, and hurting feelings. Then we talked about how powerful our words are and how we should use our words for good, not evil. Last, we did a simple activity that really taught the kids what rumors are and how they spread.  


I didn't realize that Madonna had it in her. I'm impressed!



Aww, thanks Ryan!!

Have a good weekend!! We deserve it!


5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I love that book by Madonna! I have read it aloud so many times. I usually wait until something happens in the classroom and we need that lesson about telling the truth or not spreading rumors. It's a perfect book for that!

    Thanks for sharing!
    Carol
    Teachers Are Terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea Madonna wrote children's literature! I learn something new everyday reading blogs :-) Is your spring break this late every year??? I've always had break mid-March. Random, but what do you call the print you used for your blog background? I like it. I have it. I have no idea what it's called.
    KaSandra
    MemoriesMadeinFirst

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, spring break is always late because we go until mid-June. :( The background is called quatrefoil!

      Delete
  3. I like the fable/folktale/fairy tale foldable! We actually teach fable/folktale in a different unit than fairy tales. Despite all 3 going together so well, I LOVE teaching fairy tales separately because it's my favorite thing to teach, especially when we get to fractured fairy tales & the kiddos write their own!
    So glad I stopped by your blog!

    -Ashlee
    TeacherWillRunforBooks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! This is my first time visiting you. I teach 2nd too and I think my kids would live doing that little fable/folktale.fairytale foldable! There is a fabulous children's book exhibit at the NYC public library that I went to see last week on Spring Break - I blogged about it a bit last week. You reminded me of it because it had a HUGE Once Upon a Time wall. I just returned to work after 2 glorious weeks off. We go to the END of June! I hope you enjoy your Spring Break!
    :) Shelley
    The Write Stuff Teaching

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your input!