March 7, 2014

TGIF - Five for Friday!

Five for Friday Linky

Happy Five for Friday with Doodle Bugs Teaching!

We had a semi-normal week. I am so glad to finally be back in routine!

This week we started a brand new Balanced Literacy unit.  I am using Lucy Calkins for the first time... Now that I am finally getting used to it, I love it!

Do you have any favorite activities you do to teach folktales and fairy tales?  I need to come up with a cute idea to fill up my literacy bulletin board.

On Wednesday we went on a field trip to a local children's theater to see Petite Rouge... the French version of Little Red Riding Hood. 

Apparently the play was wonderful.  All of the kids and my coworkers loved it! Unfortunately I had a student get sick and spent the majority of the time on the phone with mom, sitting with him outside, etc. What a disaster!!

For those of you who follow me in Instagram (@mycarolinaclass), I survived the bus ride!!! I actually came up with a handout for my kids with a long list of quiet activities they could do on the bus. Check my TPT store to grab it soon! 

Yesterday was World Math Day! I got to wear JEANS with my Mathlete shirt... exciting! 

We celebrated by integrating math into all subject areas. We did The Three Little Pigs in reading, haikus in writing (5-7-5), and spent the rest of the day doing math remediation and enrichment. It was also BYOT (bring your own technology) Day, which is fun for the students but stressful for teachers. We had fun!

Thanks to a guest blogger post by Allison (Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin') on Jivey's "Workshop Wednesday" Linky (Ideas By Jivey), I am now obsessed with Tween Tribune. I got my kiddos set up on TT Junior and they LOVE it. The kids love it because there are so many articles that appeal to them and they get to interact with each other online. I love it because it gets them reading nonfiction and their comments demonstrate their level of comprehension. We spent some BYOT time researching animals (current science unit) on TT Junior. I was so impressed with the comments they left on the articles!

If you have not explored Tween Tribune yet, you MUST at least look into it. It foresee it being a very beneficial tool that I will be using often in my classroom! 

My kids have been dropping like flies with illnesses this week! I have had a couple out with the flu and a good handful have had a stomach flu. I am popping my Vitamin C gummies daily and have been Cloroxing my room like crazy! With FIVE students out yesterday, I decided to do the glitter "germ" activity that I had seen on Pinterest.

I put a good amount of lotion on my hands and then poured blue glitter all over them. Then, I gave 5 kids high fives and fist bumps. Next I gave the class about a minute to shake hands, high five, fist bump, play hand clapping games, etc. The "germs" spread better than I thought they would; All of my kids were disgusted by all of the glitter on their hands after only a minute! Hopefully they will now do a better job of washing their hands... wishful thinking.

TGIF! Have a wonderful weekend! 


  1. I love the lotion/glitter idea to explain germ passing! Thanks for sharing.

    Crayons and Whimsy

    1. It only took a few minutes and totally worked! They were completely grossed out! :)

  2. Found your blog through the Five for Friday linky. I'm a Carolina girl too. We've had some serious sicknesses at school as well. Ugh!! Love the glitter activity!

    Mrs. Thigpen's Kindergarten


Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your input!