July 1, 2014

Reader Spotlight: Caitlin

Hello all! My name is Mrs. Mitchell from Teach. Inspire. Change., and I just finished my fifth year of teaching (time flies!). Kristin was kind enough to allow me to guest blog and share some of my favorite moments from this fifth year!

Now that school has let out for the summer, I am able to reminisce about and reflect on those little moments that make teaching truly an enjoyable profession. And, interestingly enough, some of my most memorable moments about this past year seem to be just those simple, silly things.

Without further ado, here are my four favorite reflections from my fifth year of teaching:

Yard Duty.
While some teachers abhor yard duty with every ounce of their soul, I quite enjoy it. Think about it. I get to stand outside on a brilliantly sunny day (I do live in Los Angeles after all) and watch kids participate in complete and utterly fabulous joy. Watching them play "hot corners" or "kickball" reminds me of when I was young and naive and days when the only things that mattered were entirely trivial and frivolous. To be brought back to those moments in my life is such a special experience for me. Thank you, yard duty! 

I must have been born to be a teacher because laminating brings me absolute peace a calmness. I'm on summer break and just last night I spent three hours laminating items at home with my own, personal laminator that my husband bought me as a Christmas gift. Call me crazy, but I don't know how many other people get this excited over a laminator. I love it. 

The Smell of The Musty Hallways.
Nothing reminds me more of my childhood schooldays than walking into our classroom building every morning and smelling all of the years of must and life in the hallways. When I first interviewed at my current position, the principal took me on a tour of the school, and the moment I stepped into the Junior High building, the pungent "school smell" just enveloped my entire being, and I knew I belonged. Like I said, it's the simple, silly things. 

If I ever feel down about myself, all I need to do is go to work. The darling students at my school always make me feel like a million bucks. Just the other day I had a sweet, little first grader come up to me and say, "Mrs. Mitchell, why is your hair two different colors?" (mind you, I just hand't had a chance to get my hair highlighted recently.) To which I answered, "Oh, I don't know, that's just the way I like it." And her genuine response was, "Oh, well, I like it, and you're really pretty!" Tell me, in how many other professions is one able to have a special moment like that?

What are some of your simple, silly moments from your past year of teaching? I'd love to hear your stories! 

Stop by Teach. Inspire. Change. anytime! I would love to "see" you there!

Mrs. Mitchell 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your input!