November 21, 2014

Five for Friday: Thankful Edition


THANK YOU for coming by! I love linking up with Kacey on Fridays. 


My class just finished reading Junie B., First Grader: Turkeys We Have Loved and Eaten (and Other Thankful Stuff). It was GREAT. I literally laughed until I cried. 

Anyways, in the book, the class makes a list of things that they are thankful for.

Here's my list of things I am thankful for as a teacher:

1. COFFEE
2. amazing, creative, inspiring teacher bloggers
3. Teachers Pay Teachers
4. great room parents
5. Pinterest
6. Donors Choose
7. Target Dollar Spot
8. lamination
9. GoNoodle
10. YOU and all of my supportive readers!

Because I'm so thankful for you, my "One Odd Turkey" product is on sale this weekend only.



I just started using MobyMax with my students last week. I am so impressed with it so far! I think it will be especially great practice for upcoming state benchmark tests that students have to take on the computer. (We use MAP / NWEA.)

I can see exactly what my kiddos are up to on MobyMax.




However, I am not a huge fan of how easily students can bug me. I need to find out if I can turn off the messaging feature. 





I've had lots of teachable moments this week. Earlier this week, we played Beat the Calculator to see whether our brains or calculators are faster. It's an Investigations game. Essentially, one student uses a calculator to solve a problem with multiple addends (a number string) and another student uses mental strategies to solve the same problem. "The brain" won EVERY time except for one! The kids loved it and I think it proved my point. 


Yesterday, someone had the nerve to ask why second graders aren't allowed to use pictures to solve problems or show their work. I told them it is a waste of time and does not show their thinking.

They didn't believe me, so obviously I had to prove it to them. I timed myself solving a two-digit addition problem. 



I think I proved my points.



I've been working on my Christmas list...

I'm thinking about a FitBit. Thoughts? I would love to see how many miles I walk at school each day. Am I right??


Speaking of Christmas lists, can we just take a moment to complain about how Tory Burch Revas no longer have elastic backs?? Elastic is the reason I buy those babies. What is happening??




Next week is a two-day week and then it's THANKSGIVING BREAK!!!! I'm so excited!!!

I'll be going home to Georgia for the holiday.

I finally checked out Wonder from the school media center and plan to read it during my break. I've heard such great things.



How long do you have off for Thanksgiving? What are your plans?

Have a great one!!!

2 comments:

  1. I love the book Wonder!!! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
    Your post is so funny. I am going to check out MobyMax. We are looking to switch at some point. Thanks for sharing.
    Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonder is great! I read it as a read aloud last year and my students LOVED it! Definitely worth it! Have a great break next week!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your input!