January 2, 2016

Don't Worry, Be Happy

I'm joining some amazing bloggers, Ashley and Angie, to talk about goals for January and the rest of 2016. This is actually my first time joining in the #2getherwearebetter fun, and I'm so happy to be able to do so this month!


My biggest goal for this year is to CHOOSE JOY every day. 


This is my first year that I've faced some major challenges at work. I'm at a new school, I have a very difficult class, and I've made some mistakes along the way. I am all about first impressions, and I wanted my new colleagues to see me in my best light. As I have developed relationships, I have realized how my colleagues actually do see me: as human! We all make mistakes, and we all have bad days.
Who can understand that better than my fellow teachers? 

I resolve to be okay with doing my personal best instead of constantly trying to achieve perfection.
Comparison is the thief of joy.


I will take down the perfectionist walls and open myself up to my teammates. I will trust that they will love me, support me, and fight for me even on the worst of days!


I will close my classroom door and teach my precious little students, instead of worrying about what my superiors think of me. If they want to spend time focusing on test scores and rankings and so on, that's fine, but I will do what I do best - teach. If the state wants to base my salary on my two, short formal observations, I will continue to do what I know is best for my students - teach

I resolve to focus less on the adults in the building and more on the kids. 


Not only on the bad days, but also on the good days, I resolve to give my worries to God. I know that He created me to be a teacher. I am thankful to be in a profession that allows me to change lives EVERY SINGLE DAY. I am still in awe of the fact that little ol' me can truly make a difference in impressionable little lives on daily basis. Holy cow!


Teaching is HARD, y'all. It's a 24/7 job. Even if I leave the paperwork at school (which I never do), I still bring my emotions home with me at the end of the day. 

My students' joys are my joys.
My students' successes are my successes.
My students' battles are my battles.
My students' losses are my losses.
My student's heartbreak is my heartbreak. 

It's been a hard year. My negative emotions stemming from the classroom have seeped into my evenings, weekends, free time, and relationships because I can't let it go. I worry, I stress, I cry.

I've realized, after lots of prayer and reflection, that as much as I love my students, I can't let their lives impact my overall happiness and well-being. The fact that I show up to work every day and care for my kids has to be enough. I'm not a superhero; I can't change history or how students are cared for outside of school. Knowing that I have eight hours every weekday to challenge my students academically, socially, and emotionally has to be enough. Doing my best has to be good enough for me. I, of course, am my own worst enemy. 

I have SO MUCH to look forward to in 2016!
I am getting married (EEEK!), going abroad on a honeymoon, and buying a house!
I get to stand by my best friend as she gets married and attend many other weddings.
I get to meet a new nephew.
I get to make and pass out meals to those less fortunate.
I get to go to my first TPT conference! 

It's going to be an amazing year, and I will not let the trials in my classroom have a negative effect on all of the amazing things that are coming my way. 


Cheers to a happy and fruitful 2016, y'all.
Let's make it our best year yet!


P.S. Interested in a happiness project? Check out Your 100 Things, created by my amazing best friend! I'll be participating; Will you?

19 comments:

  1. I love all the quotes that you shared in your post! They are so very true and very uplifting! I understand how hard rough years can be. Last year was my worst year of teaching so far but I can say that once I let two of my coworkers in to the struggles it was amazing how much easier it got. Your coworkers and blogger buddies are all here to support you. You will have an amazing year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Ashley! I am blessed to have an amazing team that always has my back AND an endless list of online teacher friends!

      Delete
  2. Very nice post! I hear and understand everything you are saying! Teaching is tough! I've been in it for over 25 years and the last two have been the hardest. I do the best I can in the time I'm given, 7:30-3:00. Outside of the classroom I focus on my family and my needs. It sounds like you're focusing on the right things! Have a wonderful rest of the school year and happy new year!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I am going to try and do, Gina! Thanks so much for reading. Best wishes to you!

      Delete
  3. This post is spot on! I know that your 2016 is going to be amazing!!!!

    -Sarah
    A Rocky Top Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EEEEK I know it will be amazing!! Thanks so much, Sarah!

      Delete
  4. I love your quotes! I am going to print them out and hang them up! Love them! -Carmen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think to do that! I am flattered! Thanks for reading. :)

      Delete
  5. This was me last year!! And joy was my word last year! It can be hard to find joy especially when your school year isn't going that great, but you are so right to focus on what you can control and what's best for you! Wishing you the best in 2016!!!

    Rachel
    A Tall Drink of Water

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel! If you did it, I can do it too! May will be here before we know it, I'm sure.

      Delete
  6. I love your goals. This blog post hits so close to home for me! I was right where you were last year with the tough class, I wish I would've thought about focusing on what can be controlled.

    I also LOVE the font you used on the quotes (which I love). What is that font?

    -Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meredith! That is a great point: Focus on what I CAN control rather than things I can't.

      The font is called Daydreamer. I downloaded it to use on wedding stuff and I am IN LOVE!

      Delete

  7. My favorite our your quotes or should I say is the verse you shared. We all need to be reminded to pray for everything, because it is always up to someone way higher than us. At my church our pastor is constantly telling us to stop trying to do it our way and just let God take over. I truly believe this! If we just turn it over to God, he will take care of everything. It may not be what we want, but it will be what we need! Thanks for sharing!

    Jamie
    Teaching Tidbits and More with Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, it's just so difficult to give up control! I know His plan is better than anything I could possibly imagine, and I know that this year has purpose. It's hard to remember that on the difficult days, though. Thanks for reading, Jamie!

      Delete
  8. I adore your blog! Those quotes are absolutely some of my favorites - I have the Roald Dahl quote hanging up in my classroom! I wish you nothing but the best in the New Year! Use the online support of other teachers and bloggers to help you out - my blogging friends are now some of my best friends! Can't wait to see where your journey takes you - best wishes!

    Amanda
    My Shoe String Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda!! It is a great quote. I thought about skipping it because I see it everywhere already, but it's just so perfect! Thanks for sending positive vibes my way; I'm so thankful to be a part of this amazing community!!

      Delete
  9. Your 2016 is going to be amazing friend! I am praying that I will make it to Orlando to give you a big hug in person too! Can't wait to hear about all of the amazing things that you do this year, and how God will continue to work through you. I saved some of your quotes, and I am going to hang them in my office!! <3

    Mrs. 3rd Grade 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSS I hope I get to Orlando! I am planning on it, but haven't booked anything yet! Thanks so much, Cassandra!!!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your input!